Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Can you hear that?

Neither can I, and it's totally freaking me out.


Thanks for the sassy swimsuit, Andrew Ox!

After spending a blistering week at the Burning Man festival, trying to sleep through the nonstop thump-thump-thumping of house music, I thought I'd relish a little peace and quiet. Instead, I found myself wide awake as only one of two campers at Lake Lahontan, Nevada. Coyotes and owls exchanged calls outside and, wait... Was that footsteps? After convincing myself that Ralgh would alert me to any interlopers, I was able to fall asleep, but I kept one eye open and my good ear tuned.


Lake Lahontan

At three in the morning. I woke to movement. Someone was trying to open my door! I grabbed my flashlight, shined it out the window and called firmly, in my most deep and intimidating voice, "What are you doing!?" As I emerged, heart pounding, from my sleep, it became clear that the noise of someone breaking in was not actually an intruder, but came from inside my van. Ralgh! I redirected my light toward the floor and found him perched on top of the toilet, back arched like a black Halloween cat, shaking like a belly dancer in Antarctica. No one had tried to break in, but Ralgh must have heard or seen something. I crawled down from my bunk, coaxed Ralgh off the toilet, and we prayed for morning until we fell asleep huddled together on the seat.

Tonight we're sleeping in Austin, Nevada in the Toiyabe National forest campground, which is occupied by two other RVs. It's getting dark. I'm trying to keep my cool, but with the fading of the light comes the fading of my fearlessness. Why does it have to be so damn quiet!? I imagine if I actually was attacked, the perpetrator would say something like, "scream all you want; no one can hear you now! Mwah ha ha!"

I think after a few nights of this, we'll get used to sleeping out here. Until then, we'll welcome the mornings.

On another note, Internet is scarce in these parts, and while I can post using iPhone, it sucks to type a whole blog on that little touch keyboard. So, I'll try to keep it regular, but my entries will probable be short and/or sporadic. Don't worry, though. I'm still out here.

5 comments:

John Judy said...

Probably a porcupine or similar critter. I had basically the same thing happen while camping in the desert. Still, I was scared for you... scared and TOTALLY f**king jealous.

Kelly McNiece said...

I think it may have been all of our our collective jealousy knocking at your door.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kelly.

Also, I still think you're a tough soldier! Trevor (my ex) and I used to go camping a lot and every night we would lie shaking in fear in each others' arms. And he's a big manly man! So for you to be out camping just you and Ralgh.... that takes guts! Rock on!

Anonymous said...

I think that as long as Ralph doesn't transform into Scooby-Doo, you'll be fine. That dog would tear the jugular out of the first person who threatens your safety. Just to be sure, spray any attacker's neck with steak sauce first.

Shannon said...

dude that swimsuit is hot. you could answer the door with that and your bubble gum gun the porcupine outside would be totally scared away.